June 14

Purse Zippers

It just seems to happen. We get a favorite purse and some minor thing makes it unusable: a broken strap or a zipper that isn’t closing or is jamming.

Don’t throw it out yet!

One client brought two purses to me this week with the same issue: the zipper was popping open/wouldn’t seal.

The issue?  The same that is the problem with at least 80 percent of the zipper repairs I see (jacket,  purse, backpack,  sleepingbag): the slider.

It does take a little longer to replace the slider than with a jacket, as I have to open some stitching and reseal the area, but it’s still a quick,  inexpensive fix at $7.50-10.00.

Straps can be just as simple and inexpensive as well, so before you throw that favorite item out, pop on in to see me to get your free quote (and I do not go over my quotes.)

November 28

ZIPPERS: To Replace or Not to Replace? – That Is the Question.

Sorry, couldn’t resist that play on words.

Regardless my poor humour, zippers are a wonderful invention and do a great job, when they are not damaged. The most common zippers on jackets are plastic teeth zippers, but there’s also plastic coil and metal teeth.

Now here’s a tidbit that few people know. A non-working zipper does NOT always have to be replaced.

That’s right!  Of all the jacket zippers I see in my shop for replacement, I only actually replace about 20%. The other 80% simply need the slider replaced. Replacing the slider will see that zipper back in operation in less than 5 minutes.

Since zippers are costly to replace, just replacing the slider is a VERY attractive alternative to most people. Consider 7.5 – $12.5 for replacing a slider versus $25-$75 to replace a zipper.

Self Test to Judge if it’s a Damaged Slider or Zipper:

Continue reading

March 27

Custom Electronics Bag

Besides starting businesses and watching them grow, it’s also interesting to be involved with someone else who is heading that way. That is what I was blessed to be a part of with Jason Poitras and Field Talk Radios, before he sold it to another entrepreneur.

He came to me at the very beginning of his project that uses blue tooth technology to interact with various survey equipment. He had a bag designed to strap the equipment to surveying tripods and wanted a local company to do the production. What started as 10 units in March, that took a few months to sell, has now translated into 60 more units in the same time period, and ending up making hundreds. Well done!

So, here’s the pics:

Front of the bag with flap open:

Backside with both straps showing:

Field Talk Radio Bag – back

Backside with top strap detailed velcro closure and vinyl to help it stay on the pole.

Original posting: June 8, 2008