Another simple and amazing Italian pasta recipe I tried by Chef Pietro at Valoroso Foods this week. I cannot stress enough how much I HATE blue cheese, but this dish had me going “Wow!” This cremy Bechamel based dish has a wonderful tang. I’ve modified the recipe to reduce the amount of blue cheese in the original recipe to 1/4 of the original ,as the full amount was just too strong for us. The picture below also features meatloaf, but I haven’t written up a recipe for that yet, as mine tends to change depending on my moods…. oh…. I guess it always changes then! LOL
Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream, Walnuts and Arugula
1 – 500g pack Gnocchi (any flavour)
40g Gorgonzola (bue) cheese, crumbled into pieces
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup Bechamel sauce
100g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
50g chopped walnuts, toasted
1 handful arugula leaves
For the Gorgonzola cream:
- Once you’ve made the Bechamel sauce (recipe below), leave the burner on medium-low and add the Gorgonzola.
- Once the cheese has melted, simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring a large saucepan of water with 1 teaspoon salt to boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the gnocchi 2-3 minutes. They will rise to the surface when cooked.
- Remove gnocchi from the water, drain well and place in large heat proof bowl.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Pour the Gorgonzola sauce over the gnocchi and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Place the bowl on a baking sheet and broil the gnocchi for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and turning golden.
- Serve immediately topped with fresh black pepper, toasted walnuts and arugula leaves.
Bechamel (Basic White Sauce)
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
1 Cups Milk
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined.
- Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency.